Miles) also known as “Lucky Baldwin” Mine
for the crumbling wooden structure on the right or south
side of the road – this is an ore bin, built in 1945, a
more recent attempt to make
The last major gold discovery occurred in 1873 when
Barney and Charley Carter were enroute to the Rose Mine.
While camped on the north
Barney went to inspect the “shiny stuff” in the quartz
ledge immediately above their camp.
His brief exploration led to a mountain of gold
ore! Elias J.
purchased “Carters’ Quartz Hill: for $30,000.
had 180 men working his mine and a 40-stamp mill was in
concrete footings can be seen to the west.
The site of a large mill and cyanide processing
plant was added in 1899.
The mill was in operation as late as 1923.
In the fall of 1875, William F. Holcomb returned
once more to the Valley, a visit inspired by
sentimentality and curiosity.
Bill witnessed the death throes of the mining
camps, the final and futile last search for more gold.
Before long nature would creep back, reclaiming the
clapboard villages were abandoned, leaving only decaying
ghost towns. Holcomb
could never have guessed that when he shouldered his rifle
to hunt bear in 1860, he would precipitate the largest
Gold Rush in