Past and Present of Adams County,
Chicago. S. J. Clarke Pub. Co., 1916
PAST AND PRESENT OF ADAMS COUNTY
In 1884, a store building was erected
by a Methodist minister, the Rev. Mr. Calvert, who operated the store about a
year and then sold it to Elmer Sims, now of Hastings. Mr. Sims conducted the
store about two years and then sold. The store was then purchased successively
by Z. Stone, Margaret Stone and John Stratton. Mr. Stratton was the proprietor
when the store was burned on Easter Sunday, 1901. Following the destruction of
the two stores the Ancient Order of United Workmen at once erected a brick
building, using the upper story for their hall and renting the store below. Mr.
Stratton reopened in the new store room but eventually sold his business to
Nellie Vandling and her father. George Hatch, who came from Harvard, was
the next proprietor until he sold to O. A. Cain. In 1914 a corporation
composed of John Kieth, Tom Winn, Homer Loucks, George Durkee, Theo. Stock, Lem
Clark, O. B. Shafer, H. C. Redman, W. O. Cain, Moses Price, Charles Dominy and
George Sheaff built a store, building across the street west from the Ancient
Order of United Workmen Building, and Mr.. Cain moved his store into the new
building. The store is of brick and was erected at a cost of $7,000. W. V.
Gauvreau, son of E. L. Gauvreau of Hastings, purchased the business of Mr. Cain
in 1914 and is the present proprietor of the store.